Hard question: How do we live so that we are Jesus’s hands and feet? Hmmm…
Byron
So this morning I got up early to go meet some guys at the Hastings coffee shop to talk about life and how God is involved in it. It’s always a great way to start a Thursday, but it wasn’t until I was in the car driving that I had the sense to check my phone to see if anyone was actually going. After reading a few texts I soon learned that I wasn’t going to be meeting any of the usual people this morning – thankfully these meetings are also with the Lord, so I went to Hastings anyway. On the way I said something offhand – “God show up to meet with me this morning.”
I pulled into the parking spot and hung out in the car for a bit. I couldn’t decide if I was going to go in or just stay in the car. There was a strange thing on my mind that I should go find an ATM to grab some cash and then go inside. It was on my heart that the money was to bless someone – maybe the barista, who I have seen many mornings, but have rarely had a conversation with. The thought of pulling out more money just to give it away was hard for me (I was thinking about all the other things I had planned for my limited resources). It became clear that I was either going to hold on selfishly to the money or I was going to step out in faith and see what God was doing. I prayed to have the faith and eyes to follow through.
After I pulled out a little cash I headed inside the coffee shop. The barista I was familiar with was not there – it was just me and this girl I have never seen before. “Strange,” I thought. I fully expected to use the money to give a generous tip to the lady I was familiar with, hopefully sparking a good conversation. Maybe that’s presumptuous of me, but that was my idea of God’s will. A bit confused, I ordered a coffee and left her a nice tip, but nothing like I anticipated. I don’t know why I held onto the money in that moment, but it became clear in the next few moments. As I sat down to read the book “The Hole in Our Gospel” by Richard Stearns, another man walked into the coffee shop. He wandered over to the barista and asked if she could spare a glass of milk. She kindly obliged. His name is Byron.
I wondered if I should go offer to buy him something to eat. I continued reading, trying to put it out of my mind. I read my book, reading about how we rarely step out enough to help the needy. I was convicted and began to think about reaching out to this man. I tried to put it out my mind again and kept reading. Then Byron got up and left the coffee shop.
I followed behind and caught up with this man in the parking lot. “Can I buy you something else to eat or drink?” Surprised, he looked at me and nodded. “I’m Byron.”
“What’s the budget?” was the next thing he said as his eyes scanned the display. This is what that money I pulled out of the ATM was for. “Whatever you want,” I responded. He ordered two sandwiches and then we sat down to what turned out to be an hour long conversation between two strangers.
I have my own ideas about what people in need will say in order to satisfy that need. It’s almost instinctual I think. Byron bowed over his sandwich to pray. “Is this sincere?” I thought. I am very sad that I would even think such a thing, but I did. [Lord, purify my heart so that I would see you instead of doubting you.] I sipped my coffee wondering what our conversation would be about.
Byron is a man thirty years old, without a job. He got up early this morning to wait for stores to open so he could be the first to ask if they were accepting applications. He is a self-professed ‘neat freak’ who makes sure that he has a clean body and clean clothes, even when it’s a struggle to make those things happen. I am a twenty-two year old college rich kid who quit his job so he could have more time to do and seek other things. I come home to a house that I can pay rent for easily. I have a warm shower every morning before I go out and spend much more money in a day than most families spend to support themselves each day. I am filthy rich. You probably are too.
Byron talked about how the news only reports bad news, with perpetuates bad news. I agreed. He talked about how even though he wishes he didn’t have to struggle, he’s grateful that there is suffering because it creates desperate situations where people have to seek change. I wanted to say that it was the Lord who brings change, but he beat me to it. He talked about how he goes to a church where people say they love him, but he is looked down upon by other church goers. I tried to think of a way to say that there are many hypocrites and to an extent we are all hypocritical at time, but he understood that. He told me that his favorite book of the Bible is Ecclesiastes. Wow, rip out my heart why don’t you Byron. When I sit and read Ecclesiastes, I see many things but I’m sure I don’t understand the futileness of this life as much as you do simply because I haven’t suffered as much. We talked about more things. Like birds and flowers. He shared with me that he thinks that humanity is like a flower bed, and although we may be different colors we are equally beautiful in the eyes of the Creator. I reassured him as best as I could that if God cares so much for the birds and flowers, He certainly cares more for us [Matthew 6]. Byron knew that passage in his heart [John 1:9].
After awhile, I prayed for us, but especially for Byron. He looked into my eyes afterwards with a sincerity that shut up every preconceived doubt that he would say to get something more out of me. He was seeking exactly what I’m seeking: peace and love enough to know that we are provided for by our great God. He didn’t ask for anything. I thought about how blessed I am in every moment.
The Beatitudes Revisited
Christ has no body on earth but yours,
no hands but yours,
no feet but yours.
Yours are the eyes through which
Christ’s compassion for the world is to look out;
Yours are the feet with which He is to go about doing good;
and yours are the hands with which He is to bless us now.
– Saint Teresa of Avila
This is how love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgement: In this world we are like Jesus.
– 1 John 4:17
Have you thought about Jesus’s words to His disciples when he says “You will do the same works that I have done, but you will also do greater works.” By your own power, you will do nothing near as great as Jesus has done. By the power of the Spirit, you will be Jesus to the world.
“Seek first the Kingdom of God, and all other things will follow.” When I sat this morning wondering if I should go talk to this stranger, it was the Spirit prompting me to do so. As the Spirit tried to lead me, I tried to push back and stay in my own ways. This is a daily struggle in every area of our lives. All I can say now is that I am so thankful the Spirit was strong enough this morning to push me out of my comfort zone, so that I could be used by Jesus.
If we are meant to be like Jesus to the world, then how do we do this practically? Let’s rephrase the Beatitudes from Matthew 5 a bit and see what they could mean for us.
And Jesus taught His followers, saying:
Seek out the poor in spirit, to show them that the kingdom of heaven is theirs.
Seek to comfort those who mourn.
Be like the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.
Hunger and thirst for righteousness, and you shall be satisfied.
Be merciful, and you will be shown mercy.
Pray for a pure heart, for those with pure hearts see God.
Be a peacemaker, for they shall be called sons of God.
You are blessed when you are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for the kingdom of heaven is yours. Rejoice with the saints and prophets who also endured persecution, for you will inherit the same reward that they do.
Will you be led by the Spirit? Will you be like Jesus? The harvest is here, but the workers are few.
No comments:
Post a Comment