Monday, February 7, 2011

Provide and Protect


Psalm 5:11-12
But let all who take refuge in you rejoice;
     let them ever sing for joy,
     and spread your protection over them,
     that those who love your name may exult in you.
For you bless the righteous, O Lord;
     you cover him with favor as with a shield.

            This past month God has showed me His provision and protection over myself, my family, and my Nicaragua team!  It’s been a wild ride with many joys and sorrows, but more than anything peace.  Through shortcomings and triumphs, I can declare that my God is greater than all things, especially myself.  Whatever state I’ve been in day-to-day God has been unwaveringly faithful to shelter me under His Word, His Spirit, the comfort and encouragement of friends and family, just to name a few.
            Let’s jump back three weeks to Monday, January 17th.  In the early afternoon I received news that the entire trip cost (all $2200) had been covered with support from family and friends.  PRAISE GOD!!!  I nearly fell out of my chair because I had a long way to go just a few days prior.  I was riding on a cloud for a few hours until I got a call from my parents that sent my hurling back to earth.  My mom was diagnosed with Endometrial cancer (cancer of the Uterus).  The news was sobering to say the least.  It brought a myriad of questions and concerns into my view.  For as often as I heard about cancer in the years prior to this, I don’t think I ever once thought it would hit so close to home.  I began thinking, searching, praying.
            My mom has dwelt in the strong tower of the Lord through this whole ordeal, sometimes shaken but never knocked off the foundation.  That’s what has made Psalm 5:11-12 such a relevant passage to me – it’s been a banner for my mom.
            Last week my mom was scheduled for surgery on Wednesday, but that was pushed back to Friday due to rolling blackouts in the DFW area.  As few words as it takes to say that, it can’t communicate the stress of driving up to the hospital through icy conditions only to find out that we have to wait longer.  Friday came along and my mom endured a 3.5 hour surgery.  We waited.  Once the surgery was over the surgeon gave us good news, but told us it would still be a few hours before mom would be wheeled up to the room.  We all waited.
            That first night was a bad one.  As my mom struggled to rest in 8-10 minute increments, Kate, Dan, and I rushed home because the pipes had frozen and burst back home.  The first floor was soaked.  A family friend had caught it, relayed the news to us, and then proceeded to do damage control.  He worked so hard and it was a real blessing to see another instance of God providing someone to meet a need of our family.  Once again, words won’t describe all the questions and concerns that piled up as we tried to contemplate why the pipes would burst the same night that my mom was recovering from her surgery.  Here is the point of it all:  The good news FAR outweighed the bad news and it would have been a victory of the enemy if we let the bad news overshadow the good.  My mom’s surgery had gone better than we hoped and there was much to rejoice over!
            We spent the Saturday in the hospital while my dad took some time to figure out a plan for making the house habitable as quickly as possible.  People continued to show support for my mom and my mom continued to feel better.  Things were looking up and it seemed there was more good news around every corner.  Praise God!  There was a scare in the afternoon that my mom may have developed a blood clot in her leg, but a sonogram was able to show that it wasn’t a blood clot and it wasn’t long before the swelling began to subside.  More good news!  Back at home, my dad and a small crew of dedicated people did more work on the house in a few hours than I could have guessed.  He was exhausted and spent the night in the hospital.  Both my mom and dad were able to rest better that night than the previous night.
            Kate and I got to spend Sunday morning with my mom before we headed back to Norman.  My mom looked even better!  Now she’s out of the hospital and we’re hoping and praying for a full and quick recovery!  If you want more information, check out http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/carolcarlton.
            I’m psyched about this mission trip to Nicaragua.  It’s crazy that there’s only a little over a month until we depart.  I’m confident that God will do great things in the hearts of everyone that is connected to this trip – I hear and see amazing things being done already.  God is continuing to provide the finances for the trip.  If you feel led to support us on this trip, you can still do that and the money will go to our team members and then as a blessing to the host family who could really use the extra resources.  If you think this may be something the Lord has on your heart, pray about it and follow through.  Please be in prayer for this trip as we draw ever nearer.
God Bless.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful Seth... even in dark times we are covered with his favor as a shield protects the warrior!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me so happy. :)

    ReplyDelete